Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Blog 5 - Interview 1 Reflection



1. What is the most important thing I learned from the interview?  Is there anything I would do differently for other interviews?

During the course of the interview, Elizabeth brought up a great deal of points I had never considered, and many ideas I had never fathomed previously.

The most important thing I've learned from her is that inspiration for video game design is not limited to video games and digital media. Maybe this point is quite obvious, but Elizabeth explained this further in detail.

Game designers can be inspired by a great many deal of things; "from a traffic light to a beautiful vista", in Elizabeth's words. But inspiration is not limited to plot, characters, or certain aspects of gameplay. Anything about a video game can take inspiration from anything, anyone, or anywhere.

One such unique example would be the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Los Angeles, a museum created with a set user experience in mind. The museum is intentionally mysterious, even a but strange and creepy. But it is created to make visitors feel that way. Even a physical, non-digital experience can inspire a game designers and have significant effects on their game projects.

For other interviews, I would ask the interviewee what kinds of experiences they'be had-- physical or digital--  that inspired something in their work. I was very immersed in Elizabeth's words, but I did not think to ask her about her own inspirational experiences herself, unfortunately.

2. Did I get additional resources and contacts?  What is the most useful?  Why?

Elizabeth was able to give me several new reading materials to assist me in my research, including books such as Rules of Play by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman and Video Game Workshop by Tracy Fullerton.

Furthermore, she suggested other potential interviewees within the Cinematic Arts school of USC. These people include Dennis Wixon, who previously worked under Microsoft on the Halo series and other projects. According to Elizabeth, he specializes in the user experience side of video game design; essentially, he works to ensure that players are experiencing the game as the creators intended.

Elizabeh also suggested I speak to and interview Richard Lemarchand, another individual with experience in the video game industry. Lemarchand was a lead designer on the Uncharted series during his time with game developer Naughty Dog. Lemarchand has experience in the emotional and experimental aspects of a game.

I've found that Elizabeth's suggestions of potential interviewees was the most helpful of resources. I've found Elizabeth's interview alone incredibly helpful, so I know that interviews with both Dennis Wixon and Richard Lemarchand can potentially be just as helpful.

I'm very much looking forward to speaking with them in the future!

3. What makes my interviewee qualified to help me? 

The interviewee, Elizabeth Swensen, is a game designer and research associate at the Game Innovation Lab at University of Southern California. She attended and graduated from USC, undergoing the school's video game design program during her time there. Elizabeth graduated with an M.F.A (Masters of Fine Arts), and has since worked for the university in the Games division. At the Game Innovation Lab, Elizabeth has worked on numerous projects over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment